College Admission Bibliography
Some of the books are available for purchase at Prometheus Tutors.
We have found the following books useful to a broad range of students and families.
What Colleges Don’t Tell You, Elizabeth Wissner-Gross
For parents of a student who expects to choose among the Ivy Leagues and other highly selective colleges.
What High Schools Don’t Tell You, by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross
For parents of all students.
Will your student stand out?
What can your student say about:
· Passions and fire in the belly? (academics, sports, hobbies, extra-curricular, etc.)
· Intense experiences?
· Taking initiative?
What can your student talk about all day?
Is your student PROACTIVE?
Looking Beyond the Ivy League, Loren Pope
For parents of a student who expects to attend a highly selective college.
Colleges That Change Lives, Loren Pope (www.ctcl.org)
For the parents of a student looking for that special fit:
· Stimulating and exciting colleges
· SAT or ACT is NOT required
Cool Colleges, Donald Asher (www.donaldasher.com)
Great and enjoyable book about interesting colleges and types of colleges:
· Four Schools That Are Kicking Butt
· Schools Where Scholarship is Honored
· Great Books Programs
· Eco Schools
· Entrepreneurial Studies
· Engineering Schools
· Flying, Sailing and Military
· Work Colleges
· More Cool Ideas
· Men’s, Women’s and Minority Focused Colleges
Write Your College Essay in Less Than a Day, Elizabeth Wissner-Gross
· One of the best organized, in terms of helping to focus students’ writing efforts
· The “Less than a Day,” premise is, of course, ludicrous!